Labels

Monday, July 27, 2015

Cauliflower and chickpea curry





Well, here's something new! 

My first blog post in english. 

I'm moving to Sweden in August and I'm really excited. I've decided to start writing in english in case I get to know some swedish people who would like to read my blog. My previous recipes will stay as they are unless I decide to make  new posts about some of the dishes in english.
---
Ég vona að ykkur þyki þetta í lagi en ef einhver á í erfiðleikum með að lesa uppskriftirnar mínar á ensku er alltaf hægt að hafa samband við mig og spyrja um hvað sem er. Ég held einnig áfram að skrifa með Júlíu systur minni á facebook síðunni Veganistur og þar er allt á Íslensku. 





Curry dishes have been an obsession of mine since I was a child. I don't think there ever comes a week where I don't make some kind of curry and rice. A while ago I tried using store bought curry paste for the first time. Until then I had always used my indian spices and, don't get me wrong, it's always delicious that way, but the curry paste gives it a decisive kick. The one I use is by a brand called Patak's. I'm sure other brands are just as good, but just make sure it's vegan.

This recipe is simple and only has a few ingredients but is very delicious and filling. It's super quick and only requires 1 pot and 30 minutes to prepare. The dish is great on it's own but goes well with some basmati rice. I bet it's also good with brown rice or quinoa. 






























































Ingredients


Curry:
  • 1 head cauliflower
  • 1 sweet potato
  • 1 yellow onion
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 2 Tbsp Patak's madras curry paste (the madras paste is really hot so if you're using the mild curry paste you might have to use more)
  • 2 1/2 cup (600ml) coconut milk (about 1 1/4 400 ml cans)
  • 1 400 ml can chickpeas, thoroughly rinsed and drained
  • 1 vegetable stock cube
  • Some water
  • Sea salt to taste



Rice:

  • 2 cup uncooked rice
  • 4 cups water
  • 1 tsp sea salt



Instructions:

1. Heat a pot, large saucepan or deep skillet over medium heat. Once hot add the onion, cauliflower, sweet potato, ginger and a little bit of water. (I try to use as little oil as possible but of course you can use oil if you like)

2. Cook, and stir frequently, for about 5-6 minutes. Add more water when needed. 


3. Add curry paste and stir to coat. Cook for 1 minute.

4. Add chickpeas, vegetable stock, coconut milk and stir to combine. Bring mixture to a heavy simmer over medium high heat. Once simmering reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.

5. While the curry cooks, Add rice and water to a pot over high heat and cover. Let it boil on high heat for one minute, reduce the heat to low and let simmer until the water is gone.



The recipe is about 4 servings. I hope you enjoy it <3


Helga María