Labels

Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Potato & Leek Soup






Soups and stews are my absolute favorite meals this time of year. I find there is something heart-warming about eating a big bowl of soup on a cold rainy day, of which we are having a lot these days in Gothenburg.

I'm also a big big fan of meals that don't require a lot of ingredients and aren't too time consuming. Give me a big pot and some simple ingredients to throw in there and I'm a happy girl!



A couple of weeks ago I tasted a potato and leek soup, topped with vegan sour cream and lentils, and I was determined to try and have a go at that  delicious recipe. Yesterday I did and it turned out great, and possibly even better than before.

The soup is:
Creamy
Simple
Filling
Comforting
Flavorful
Perfect for cold winter days!























































This recipe is fantastic, not only because the soup tastes amazing, but also because it requires less than 10 ingredients and takes less than an hour to make. That's surely the best kind of recipe, right?

I think some kale or spinach would be a good addition to it. If you dare to try, please let me know what you think! 




The soup is perfect for those days when you want something simple and tasty, but you don't want to grab something too unhealthy. If you're in the mood for something little more fatty on the other hand, I can imagine how delicious it would be to serve the soup with oven toasted garlic bread. 

Also, if you can't find vegan sour cream where you live, don't panic. You can make your own cashew sour cream or just skip it. The soup will still be super delicious without it. 



Ingredients:

Soup
8 small potatoes, peeled and sliced
1 medium leek, sliced
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 Tbsp frozen parsley
1 vegetable stock cube
1 liter of water

250 ml vegan cooking cream - I used the one from Oatly
Few drops of sesame oil
Salt & pepper

For serving:

Vegan sour cream
Cooked brown lentils 

Instructions:

1. Heat a large pot over medium heat

2. Once hot, add either a little bit of oil or water, potatoes, leek and onion. Cook for 5 minutes stirring frequently. 

3. Add vegetable stock cube, water, salt and pepper.

4.  Bring to a boil over medium heat and then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.

5. Add the cooking cream and sesame oil, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.


6. Use an immersion blender, or transfer the soup to a blender, and purée until you get the consistency you like. I like mine creamy but I don´t mind a few small chunks in there. 

7. Taste the seasonings. You might want to add a bit more sesame oil or parsley. Cook the soup for few more minutes over medium high temperature.  


8. Garnish with the sour cream and lentils, serve and get eating! 

I hope you like this recipe and if you make it, please let me know! 

Helga María