Labels

Thursday, January 21, 2016

Creamy tomato soup


Have I told you that I love soups? They are the perfect winter food, so comforting and heartwarming.
Last week I sat at my favorite coffee house and watched people eat creamy tomato soup with crispy garlic bread. I knew I had to make a vegan version so I did as soon as I got home.
This soup is so freaking easy to make but at the same time ridiculously tasty. The ingredients are cheap witch makes it even more perfect.

The recipe was inspired from another blog but I veganized it and made it my own. I loved putting pasta in the soup but I also think it would be amazing to serve it with vegan grilled cheese



Ingredients:
1 can crushed tomatoes (200g)
1 can chickpeas
1 can coconut milk (I only used the thick part. I've also used vegan sour cream witch turned out amazing)
1 cup water
1 yellow onion

2 garlic cloves
vegetable stock cube
1 tsp dried basil 
salt and pepper to taste
olive oil

Toppings:
1/2 cup uncooked pasta shells
shredded vegan cheese


Instructions: 
1. Heat the oil in a pot or deep skillet

2. Dice the onion, add it to the pot and cook until soft.

3. Add garlic and stir for few minutes

4. Add everything (except the pasta shells and cheese) to the pot and let it simmer for 15 minutes

5. while the soup is simmering add pasta shells to a small pot and cook until soft. I like my pasta a bit salty. 

6. serve the soup with pasta and shredded vegan cheese.

Helga María